Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Summer snippets

Sipping Greek coffee by the beach, while studying the map of Thassos. Or is the coffee Turkish? A quintessential Balkan dispute--petty, but always potentially dangerous. What matter is that the seeds are roasted right, not too mild but not too burnt either; that you heap generous amounts of coffee into the water; and that you brew it not one second longer than necessary (if you like a practical demonstration, send me an email :)

In a taverna under a century-old Platanus orientalis (Oriental plane) you eat a piece of toasted bread with some olive oil and a pinch of basil, and the world feels right. Especially once the grilled meat arrives.

A village, a promenade, a beach--Skala Marion in a nutshell. An ordinary place, where families run tavernas and grocery stores and rent out room for tourists. There are no hotels, aqua parks, carousels, or stands selling fake designer bags and cheap trinkets. It's a place which lives off tourism, but has a life without tourists as well, and this is why it is so beautiful.

A boy with a yogurt mustache, who just told me he wanted to come and live with me, so that he can start speaking French...

5 comments:

  1. Welcome to your new blog! Very happy to be the first follower ;-)

    But blogger again? Sigh. Everyone knows blogger is over. WP is the way to go....

    Super photos, how are you enjoying your camera? Not much time for snapping with the new job I suppose though.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, my first follower--I am thrilled!

    I tried Wordpress, I really did, but I found it more difficult than blogger, or maybe it is just that I am so used to blogger and didn't have enough patience to really get to understand WP.

    There is still weekends for snapping, I just need to remember to take the camera with me--it was easier before when it would fit in my purse...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I'm the second follower! :) I'm looking forward to meeting you here in your old Budapest in September!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey! I didn't know you had moved! did you move all of you? hope all is well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ale, I am coming this weekend, so if you are around let's meet (picnic at Margit, maybe?)

    Kristina, at the moment it's just me in Geneva, I left the boys in Budapest to do the packing...

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?