Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Switzerland 101

in Luzern
Before moving to Switzerland I associated the country with chocolate, secret bank accounts, and murky role in the WWII. Add to that the Alps and the iconic cows (think Milka) and that would be the extent of my knowledge.

For the first time in my life I am living/working in a country of which I know so little, and whose history, culture and society hardly even registered on my map prior to coming here. I was equally a foreigner in Bulgaria and Hungary, but these countries meant something to me through centuries of shared history. It might have been shared at knife- or gun-point most of the time and we might interpret it very differently, but at least there was shared recognition of historical events.

No such thing here. Even living in the UK was very different because I had been so steeped in British literature, language and pretty much anything Britain-related that it never even felt foreign--just quirky, and mostly in a likable kind of way. With Switzerland, there are neither commonalities, nor prior interest, only some vague ideas and stereotypes.

I tried my friend Amazon for some Switzerland 101 resources to boost my shaky knowledge base (it is embarrassing if all of your information about a country comes from a guidebook) but it is surprisingly difficult to find books in English that try to explain Switzerland to foreigners beyond the practical advice on living, working, getting around by train or buying property. Many of the books that the above-mentioned guidebook recommends for further reading are either out of print or strangely expensive (must one be rich to be interested in Switzerland?).

One that I manage to get through a colleague was excellent; it's called Why Switzerland by Johnatan Steinberg and it tries to answer why we should care about Switzerland and what it is that makes it so special. It's a good overview of Swiss society, with chapters on history, culture, religion, etc but the most amazing--and also the most confusing--was the one about the voting. I have never heard of a voting system so complicated. I may need Swiss voting for dummies but in the meantime I am going to try something called Swiss Watching--yet another Brit promising to unmask Switzerland beyond banks and skis. It's got raving reviews on Amazon, was Financial Times 2010 book of the year, so even if it is half as entertaining and informative as it is branded, it must be a good read. I wonder if it will cover voting?

4 comments:

  1. I too am perplexed by Switzerland. Is it a peace loving country? Yet at one time they were a source of mercenaries. Many such paradoxes. Perhaps as you learn more about the country and its people, you can teach us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems peace-loving, as they have a long tradition of neutrality, but at the same time they own a lot of guns (the intro blurb for Swiss Watching on Amazon says they have more guns than Iraq). It's a country of many contradictions :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I'd associate neutrality with peace loving. I'm really no history buff, but with this central location and the Gottard, I think the Swiss might be neutral to avoid being a pawn in someone else's big plans. I associate their neutrality with the fierce independence they share. Also Swiss - what's really Swiss? The Swiss in Zurich here are not the same as the Swiss in Lugano, etc. which makes it such a fascinating place to live I think.

    Thanks for your thoughtful posts and beautiful photos! I look forward to continuing to visit your blog - having lived in so many places you have a unique perspective I enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your visit and your comment, Barbara. I also think Switzerland is a fascinating place to live--such a small country, and yet so diverse (and blessed with incredible natural beauty). I am really looking forward to discovering it, in books and on the road :)

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?