Search This Blog

Friday, September 2, 2011

The Balkans under the summer sun

Jelsa, Hvar

This year our summer journey to the Balkans began in Croatia, on the island of Hvar. I had last been there in 1987 with my school. Back then we used to spend one week per school year having classes somewhere other than our hometown. There was an attempt to vary the landscape (a little bit of mountains, a little bit of the coast)so in the final year of lower primary school we were taken to Hvar. This was four years before the beginning of the war and little did I know that it would be many years before I will go to Croatia again; harder to imagine still that I would need a passport (even a visa at some point) to do that. But in 1987 it was still the age of innocence, soon to be rudely interrupted.

Hvar

While we were watching the sea at the promenade outside of Split's old town, I tried to explain to Boris that this was once one country--my country--from there to granny's, that there were no borders from us to the sea. But of course Croatia means little to him and the Adriatic sea is just one of many, and not the measure of all things maritime. I noted with some sadness that Yugoslavia will be a completely abstract construct for him, a historical fact with no relevance. Will it be less real when there is no one around to remember it?

Jelsa, Hvhttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifar
One interesting thing about Croatia is that it desperately does not want to be associated with the Balkans--in Croatia, the Balkans is others (primitive, backward, oriental). And yet if we take Kundera's homeland litmus test (obscenities are our strongest link with the homeland, to paraphrase) then I have to say I feel quite at home in Croatia. Swearing is rife, and curses identical (the great Croatian writer Miroslav Krleza was attributed as saying "God save me from Serbian bravery and Croatian culture," which sounds just about right to me). Maria Todorova`s fantastic book "Imagining the Balkans" would be a great read for anyone further interested in Balkan identities, both denied and acknowledged.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you posting again and what an interesting post. Though I only visited Yugoslavia briefly in 1983, I had a sense of a strong national identity and I was so sad when the war broke out. Your feelings must be so much more intense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading, Squirrel! It's been months since I wrote anything, lots of dust accumulated on this blog... I still remember your post about visiting Yugoslavia and getting lost somewhere in Croatia :)

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?